Monday, January 21, 2008

Instruction Day







On early Thursday morning, we all gathered at a local home to hear information and receive instruction on how to properly construct and operate the Olin stoves. As you can see from the photos people were so excited, they were practically on top of the stove as it being built. For everyone to understand, the instruction process consisted of a hodge podge of 5 languages: 2 different Mayan dialects, Spanish and English, and a bit of German.
After the instruction, one by one a member of each household had to sign a contract basically saying, they will not sell or alter the stove in any way. I was amazed to learn many of the people signed the contract with only an X. Since the concept of writing is not in many of their worlds they have no signature. We learned that typically and ink pad and fingerprint is the norm. Next round I guess we buy an ink pad! This is a one big learning curve in so many ways!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When I bought my house through costa rica homes for sale
I expected to have a big stove in the kitchen with a huge space, now I am really happy because I can cook every kind of recipe in my huge stove. I really love it.